Introducing Our New Venture

All About Books Global
Got a Book you wish to get reviewed?

Click here and fill up

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

lost and found Mr.Bond

My meeting with Bond took place on one fine morning when our teacher made our read through, "Sounds I like to hear,"..a few years back I had learnt to imagine and now came the next step-"close your eyes and hear, listen and recognize sounds around you". It felt grand and the whole year was a gift in itself, for the trick helped me to understand the world around me from a different perspective. Sadly, my text book got sold off with a bunch of old newspapers and I missed my "sounds I like to hear" the most...all I knew was it was written by Ruskin Bond. And, down the years I looked for that piece in all the Bond books I came across-but for one.

Bond came into life again. A teacher again taught me about him-this time it was "the eyes are not here". I learnt to see the world with a different light yet again. But yes I missed the "sounds...". And few more years of searching and waiting followed.
 A friend told me about Bond's autobiographical book-"rain in the mountains". And I could not stop myself from buying it in two day's time. It was a tough day- I snailed through the world and reached my house pretty late, tired and weak all through out, I looked and found a parcel waiting for me on the table- with tired fingers I ripped the casting and "rain in the mountains" glowed back at me...Was it apprehension, a distant rumbling of the clouds or the sudden cold wind, that touched my face softly, I flipped through the pages and studied the index closely. Buy the book, turn to page 108 of the penguin edition and read through.


1 comment:

Nalini Hebbar said...

Happy for you...books from childhood are like long lost friends!