Introducing Our New Venture

All About Books Global
Got a Book you wish to get reviewed?

Click here and fill up

Monday, November 22, 2010

since I am working on time in my other blog

The following is a excerpt from Shakespeare's "as you like it"--I would call it a pathetic love-fluffy play---me myself being far removed from love...at least thats what I have grown into...for those of you who don't know me this will be surprising, for those of you who claim to know me this is going to be double surprise, and those who are trying hard to know me this is going to be ten times a bolt from the blue sky...now I did rumble a lot, didn't I?

here is the part I want you to pay attention to: (Just in case you need a brief idea about this play click)


ORLANDO
Very well. What do you want?


ROSALIND
(as Ganymede) Please, what’s the hour?




ORLANDO
You should ask me what time of day it is, instead. There’s no clock here in the forest.




ROSALIND
Then there must be no lovers in the forest, either, because they’re as good as a clock, marking the lazy foot of time with a sigh every minute and a groan every hour.



ORLANDO
Why didn’t you say “the swift steps” of time instead of the “lazy foot”? Wouldn’t that have been just as appropriate?


ROSALIND
No, not at all, sir. Time travels at different speeds for different people. I can tell you who time strolls for, who it trots for, who it gallops for, and who it stops cold for.


ORLANDO
Okay, who does it trot for?


ROSALIND
Well, it trots for a young woman between the time she gets engaged and the time she marries: the time that’s passed may only be a week, but it always feels like seven years.


ORLANDO
Who does time amble for?


ROSALIND
For a priest who doesn’t know his Latin or a rich man who is free from the gout. The one sleeps easily because he isn’t up late studying and the other lives merrily because he’s free from pain. The first lacks the burden of intense, exhausting study, and the second is spared the burden of heavy, exhausting poverty. Time ambles for both men.


ORLANDO
Who does it gallop for?


ROSALIND
For a thief on his way to the gallows. Such a man walks as slowly as possible and, even so, gets there too soon.


ORLANDO
Who does it stand still for?


ROSALIND
For lawyers on vacation, because they sleep their holidays away, with no sense of how time moves.

No comments: